This is Mia, a delightful young girl who lives in NSW, Australia. Mia is is anaphylactic to peanuts.
“She used to have allergic reactions which cause hives and swelling over her whole body from raw egg, many other nuts, and wheat. Thankfully she has grown out of those now. Her peanut allergy, however, is severe, and blood tests have shown she is high risk.
We found out about her allergies when at 10 months she came in contact with her Mum’s peanut butter crumpet, and her face swelled up so much she could barely open her eyes. We have had a number of scares over the years, and visit the hospital at least once a year, sometimes more. We have had a number of contact issues where we have been playing at the park and her face has started swelling, someone has kissed her after eating nuts, or lost consciousness and/or started vomiting on the way home from a restaurant (despite being vigilant about her food).
Last year a neighbor gave her a peanut M&M and while she vomited the nut up (and everything she had eaten for the last two days by the look of it), she still went into anaphylaxis. What scared me the most, was the fact four paramedics and two nurses failed to recognise the signs of anaphylaxis. Because she ingested it, she didn’t swell up and the signs were not as obvious, despite being life threatening. It just looked like she had a bad cold (it was saliva coming out her nose as she couldn’t breathe) and was extremely tired. It wasn’t until we got to hospital when she was slumped over in the bathroom unable to breathe that they took her into emergency and administered adrenaline.
My dream would be that all food places, and food courts hold an epi pen. And anyone serving food is educated and trained in Action Plans and administering an Epi Pen.”